I’ll confess that I’m neither a cook nor an originator of recipes so everything below has been at some point taken from somewhere on the Internet but for the life of me I can’t tell you where from so I can’t credit accordingly. So, from this point on, consider it my recipe and pretend I am working in a laboratory working on a secret recipe for the next Dragon’s Den presentation for my get rich quick scheme.
This is a no-sugar-added energy bar and can be made in just a few minutes. They will take care of your breakfast, afternoon snack or dessert and all you need are bananas, oats, nuts and dates (salt, vanilla and a touch of cinnamon are optional). They make the perfect partner for a back-pocket on a cycle ride, or as reward half way through a heavy turbo training session during the week.
2 large, very ripe bananas, 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional), 2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional), 1/4 cup pitted, chopped dried dates, 1/4 cup chopped nuts (such as walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans), grated nutmeg or cinnamon (optional).
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180c) and lightly grease a 9×9 inch-square baking dish using butter or olive oil,
2. Mash the bananas very thoroughly in a mixing bowl until they are almost liquid. No large chunks should remain (about 1 cup and 1 ¼ cup)
3. Stir in vanilla (optional). Mix in oats, then dates, nuts and salt (optional)
4. Press the mixture evenly into a 9×9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the top lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
5. Bake for 30 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. (Makes 9 bars).